GIRLS SELECT PROGRAM
- 12U: 5th/6th grade girls
- 14U: 7th/8th grade girls
- Registered for spring Travel Team
- Will attend practices and games regularly for both town Travel Team and Select Team (total of 2-3 practices/week; 2 games/week)
Frequently Asked Questions
How is the Select Team different from the Travel Team?
The 12U and 14U Girls Select program is supplemental to the Natick Lacrosse Girls Travel program. The Founders Girls Lacrosse League (www.fgll.org) created a Select Division for girls who are prepared for a more competitive experience. The Select teams have 6-8 additional games in a more competitive league. The team is selected based on a tryout. Scores and standings are kept for Select, not for town teams. Playing time may not be equitable in Select.
Can my child play for the Select Team and not a Travel Team?
No. FGLL requires that all players also play on a town Travel Team. This is a League rule. Eligible players are 5th through 8th grade girls who are registered for the 12U or 14U Natick Travel program in the same year.
Do I need to register my child to try out?
Yes. There is a separate registration for the Select Team. In addition, your child must be registered for a town travel team to try out for the Select Team. Click HERE to register for Spring Select tryouts. There is no fee to try out.
How many players will be selected for each team?
Ideally, Select Teams have 18-20 players on each roster. Final determinations are made after evaluations. Alternates may be named, and could be called upon to play in a game if a rostered player is unable to play.
Do returning players have to try out?
Yes. Each year, the two-year age bracket (5th and 6th grade) includes a different pool of players. Players are evaluated for a spot on the Select Team based on their skill level compared to others within that pool.
How many tryouts are there?
There is one session for tryouts. Please arrive 15-20 minutes before the tryout to check in, stretch, and be ready to begin as soon as we can step on the turf. We need the full hour to evaluate the players.
What if my child is injured or cannot participate in a tryout due to a conflict?
If a player is ill, injured, or otherwise cannot attend tryouts, you must contact the age level director prior to the scheduled tryout. Any player not attending for one of these excused absences will receive appropriate consideration when the Select teams are determined, using all the data available to the evaluators.
How are tryouts structured?
Tryouts consist of drills focused on lacrosse skills such as passing, catching, cradling and ball protection, ground balls, defensive positioning and checking (where applicable), and shooting. During full field scrimmages, we evaluate speed, athleticism, game awareness, and TEAM play.
Who oversees the tryout, evaluates players, and selects the teams?
- There is an assigned age level director, 4-6 independent evaluators, and current coaches at tryouts.
- The age level director organizes and manages the tryout process, allowing the evaluators to focus solely on the performance of the players.
- Independent evaluators are responsible for evaluating players in the drills and scrimmage. None of the evaluators has a daughter at the age level trying out. We have two coaches from another town program, and 3-4 current or former Natick lacrosse coaches or board members as our evaluators.
- Current coaches from that age level oversee the drill, ensuring all players participate and the pace allows effective evaluation.
- Selection is based on performance at tryouts, previous performance and coaches input.
What is the schedule for the Select Team?
- Select games do not conflict with FGLL games. They are typically played on Friday evenings.
- Limited practices are scheduled based on field availability.
What is the cost of the program?
Final cost is determined based on the number of rostered players. Our estimated cost is $135 per player.
Lyman Phillips, Director, Girls Program: