This page contains information about the NBLL All-Star (Tournament) Program, including the player and manager selection process for teams at each age group; eligibility requirements; selection criteria; and program dates, including application deadlines for managers and players.
To apply to be an All-Stars Manager, please fill out the application here
This information was developed through collaboration between an All-Star committee and the NBLL Board of Directors, and follows guidelines and rules specified in the current Little League Official Regulations, Playing Rules, and Policies book. Questions about the All-Star program should be directed to the NBLL Player Agent at
or to the NBLL President at
Player Eligibility Requirements for All-Stars:
- Appropriate league age as determined using the Little League Age Calculator
- Meets residency requirements
- Has played in at least 60% of regular season games (certain exclusions apply, including documented injury and absences for school events)
- Must be available for All-Star activities from approximately June 11 until the end of the tournament(s), which could be the end of July for 8/9/10-year olds and 9/10/11-year-olds, and potentially through mid-August for Majors (10/11/12-year-olds), and Intermediate Division players.
Criteria for All-Star Player Selection:
- Managers/Coaches input on
- Regular Season Performance and Ability
- Sportsmanship and Attitude
- Assessment results (if applicable)
- Player commitment and availability to attend All-Star events from June 11 until last possible tournament game (end of July for 8/9/10 and 9/10/11-year-old teams, and potentially mid-August for Majors and Intermediate teams).
Majors All-Star Team Player Selection Process (ages 10-12):
Eligible Majors players of ages 10-12 who want to be considered for All-Star selection must notify the Player Agent by email of their intent by May 15 (date subject to change). Players (or their parents) shall email the Player Agent and copy the League President by sending a message to
and a copy to
. The message should include the player's first and last names, league age, current division and team, and jersey number. Each player that submits his/her name should receive an email confirmation from the player agent. A player must have this email confirmation to be on the All-Star draft board. If you do not receive a confirmation email from the Player Agent, please try again to contact NBLL regarding your indication of interest to be considered for All-Stars.
The Player Agent will then prepare a ballot listing all eligible players who wish to be considered for Little League Majors All-Star selection. The ballot will list the candidate's full name and Majors team, in alphabetical order of last name.
Manager/Coach Input: Prior to May 20, each Majors manager shall obtain input from his/her coaches/assistant coaches about each All-Star candidate from their team. The feedback shall be related to the All-Star selection criteria defined in this document.
Player Vote: The ballot containing the list of candidates for the 10-12-year-old Majors All-Star team will be given to all Majors players during the last full week of the regular season. Players will be encouraged to vote for up to 12 players they consider deserving of All-Star team selection. Players must complete and return the ballots at the time they are distributed. The ballots will be confidential and returned to the Player Agent (or a designate) immediately upon completion. Those who are absent when ballots are handed out may contact the player agent for a ballot to be submitted before May 20. The results of the player vote will be provided to the Majors managers and may be used as additional information during team selection, described in the next step.
Candidate Review and Team Selection: After Majors managers have collected input from their coaches, all Majors managers or their designate will meet to review the qualifications of all players on the Majors All-Star ballot.
- Once this review has taken place, and after each Majors manager has obtained coach inputs on players and received the results of the player vote, each Majors manager will complete a secret ballot, voting for the 11 players they feel are most deserving of All-Star selection.
- The 11 players receiving the most votes from the Majors manager balloting will be named to the Majors All-Star team. If there is a tie for the 11th All-Star spot, the Majors managers will vote again on only those players tied to determine the player selected.
- The Player Agent and League President (or designate(s)) will facilitate the team selection meeting, and the results of the Majors managers’ voting will not be shared until June 1. The Majors managers themselves will not know the results of the voting until June 1.
- The Manager of the All-Star team will select the 12th player to the team. The All-Star team manager will also be given the results of the player vote as well as the results of the Majors managers’ vote as information to help inform his/her decision.
- All All-Star teams must carry a minimum of 12 players. The All-Star Manager may also select a 13th and/or 14th player at his/her sole discretion.
Announcement of Majors All-Star Team: The All-Star team will be announced no sooner than June 1, per Little League regulations.
8/9/10 and 9/10/11-year old All-Star Teams Player Selection Process:
Eligible 8, 9, 10, and 11-year-olds who want to be considered for All-Star selection must notify the Player Agent by email of their intent by May 15 (date subject to change). Players (or their parents) shall email the Player Agent, and copy the NBLL President, by sending a message to
and a copy to
. The message should include the player's first and last names, league age, current division and team, and jersey number. Each player that submits his/her name should receive an email confirmation from the player agent. A player must have this email confirmation to be on the All-Star draft board.
The Player Agent will inform the All-Star Selection Committee (see below) and all managers in Majors, AAA, and possibly AA of those 8, 9, 10, and 11-year-old players who are seeking All-Star team selection by May 19 (date subject to change).
Manager Ballot: Each manager in Majors, AAA, and possibly AA will then complete a ballot listing the All-Star candidates in their divisions in order, from most-deserving to least-deserving of All-Star selection. This ballot will be given to the All-Star committee as input to the selection of the 9/10/11-year-old All-Star team and the 8/9/10-year-old All-Star team.
Candidate Assessment: All 8, 9,10, and 11-year old players wishing to play on the All-Star team should attend the All-Star tryouts, beginning on June 12. Majors, AAA, and possibly AA managers, along with the All-Star managers and other members of the All-Star Selection Committee, will evaluate the candidates during the assessments. Assessment results will be provided to the Selection Committee as input to the selection of the All-Star team.
Team Selection: The All-Star Selection Committee will select 11 players for the 9/10/11-year old all-star team and 11 players for the 8/9/10-year old All-Star team. They will use input from the player’s current manager, manager balloting results, and results of the player assessment session(s) to determine final selections.
The Manager of each All-Star team will select the 12th player to the team.
All All-Star teams must carry a minimum of 12 players. The All-Star Manager may also select a 13th and/or 14th player at his/her sole discretion.
Number of Teams: If the Selection Committee feels that there are enough players of All-Star caliber at the 8/9/10- and/or the 9/10/11-year-old level, the committee may choose to field more than 1 team in either of these divisions. This decision is solely at the discretion of the All-Star Selection Committee and may not be decided until after the tryouts and candidate reviews occur. This decision also depends upon the availability of qualified managers and coaches.
*Players unable to attend evaluations due to injury, illness, or unavoidable absence may still be considered for any of the All-Star teams. Players falling into this category will be evaluated using input from the player’s current manager and the manager voting results. However, players are STRONGLY ENCOURAGED to make every effort to attend the tryouts so that the Selection Committee has all possible information for each player being considered for selection to an All-Star team. Furthermore, if a player misses the tryout, they may also miss some team practices, which may disqualify them from selection. Being selected as an All-Star is an honor, and it requires a commitment from players and families to be present during the All-Star team preparation period, both in fairness to the team(s) and in order to best represent NBLL in the All-Star tournaments.
Minors All-Star Team Selection Committee
The Selection Committee responsible for naming the 9/10/11-year-old and 8/9/10-year-old all-star teams will consist of the All-Star Managers, NBLL Player Agent, the VP of Majors and the VP of Minors. The President may appoint other persons to this committee in the event that conflict of interest or unavailability precludes any of the above persons from participating in team selection. The Selection Committee will use all sources of information described above to inform their decision, including manager/coach input on candidates, assessment results, and manager balloting results.
All-Star Manager/Coach Selection
Applicants for All-Star team managers must complete the All-Star Manager Application, found on the home page under "Documents and Forms", and return it to the NBLL President at firstname.lastname@example.org by May 15 (date subject to change).
- Majors All-Star team – Manager must be a current manager or an official coach of a Majors team
- 9/10/11-year old and 8/9/10-year old All-Star team – Manager must be a current manager or official coach of a team in Majors, AAA, or AA.
- Managers for each team will be named no later than June 1 (date subject to change).
- All-Star Coaches will be selected by the All-Star Manager after team selection and must be appointed by the league president and approved by the board of directors. Coaches must currently be either a manager or coach in NBLL.
Additional Information for Players Considering All-Stars
- Player Participation - In All Stars, the minimum play rule is one (1) time at bat for each player if team has 13 or 14 players. If team has 12 players the minimum play rule is one (1) time at bat and six (6) consecutive defensive outs for each player. Beyond the tournament rules regulations, no guarantees are made to anyone as to a specific amount of playing time. The manager and coaches of the team will make that determination. Player position on the field and in the batting order will be earned through hard work, ability, a positive mental attitude and specific needs in a given game situation as determined by the manager and coaches of the team.
- Possible time requirements for each team, including assessment, practices, and tournament(s):
- Majors and Intermediate Teams: June 1 - mid-August (potentially)
- 9-10-11 year old Team(s): June 12 - August 1 (potentially)
- 8-9-10 year old Team(s): June 12 - August 1 (potentially)
- Practice expectations
- Practices will be held 5 to 7 days per week as determined by the team manager.
- Tournament Format and Length:
- Tournaments at all levels are double-elimination. Therefore, each team is only guaranteed to play 2 games.
- NBLL Summer League and All-Stars
- In fairness to players and volunteers in NBLL's Summer League, and because of the time demands of the All-Star program, All-Star players cannot simultaneously play on an All-Star team and in the NBLL Summer League.
- All-Star candidates who want to play in Summer League if not selected for All-Stars should register for NBLL's Summer League prior to the registration deadline; if a candidate is selected for All-Stars and is also registered for NBLL's Summer League, they will be asked to choose the program in which they'd like to participate and registration fees will be adjusted accordingly.
- All-Star players cannot join the NBLL Summer League as a regular player on a team once the All-Star play is finished, although All-Star players who have completed their tournament play may be allowed to substitute in Summer League, with NBLL Board approval, if all other substitute possibilities have been exhausted.
If a player cannot commit to being available during the entire All-Star time period for his/her age group, please contact the NBLL Player Agent prior to signing up for All-Star team consideration. Players who cannot commit to the time demands of the All-Star program will be encouraged to register for NBLL's Summer League program.
Questions about the All-Star program should be directed to the NBLL President or Player Agent (