March 3, 2020
Welcome to the upcoming 2020 Walpole Little League season; it will not be long before skates and skis are replaced by bats and gloves.
On behalf of the entire Board, I would like to thank you all for your continued participation and support of the program. To start, we would like to thank Steve Marshall and PJ McCarthy for their leadership over the past number of years. 2019 was a banner year, with success across all levels/ages, culminating with 2 phenomenal runs by our 12’s in Bristol appearing on ESPN and our Junior LL team battling all the way to the Title game in NJ against a very strong Maryland team.
Our goal as we begin 2020, is to continue the success this program has had for so long. We want to maintain the passion and tradition of Walpole baseball, and that will require us to continue to evolve. We will focus on:
- Skill Development at all ages, more than just playing games including a new February clinic (a great success!); look for additional opportunities for clinics/programs throughout the year
- Develop “Pace of Play” and reduce roster sizes at the younger ages to keep things interesting, and fun for the kids.
- Engaging with the rec department to influence a new program for the 6 and 7 year olds. Again focused on more practice and skills then games and hosting an end of year event at West Street.
- Maintain momentum with our Jr/Sr league after its successful initial year in 2019!
- Continue the expansion of our partnership with Walpole High School – having our kids with role models and aspiration to want to play for the Rebels when they are older.
Registrations are coming to a close this month. For ages 9-12 (Minors, AAA, Majors) that will be Friday March 13th, prior to tryouts and in order to be ready to select rosters. On March 25th we will close PeeWee (8s) and Jr/Sr (13+).
WLL is a non-profit, we invest any surplus back into the program. We will continue to make investments in our program and kids. This year we are looking to do some fundraising to offset rising costs, while maintaining our fees that have been consistent for many years.
Few other updates and Save the Dates:
- Opening Day Events – Given reduced attendance and feedback we will be changing the format this year. We will no longer have a parade, but instead each age group will have their own “Celebration” to kickoff the season.
- We will be bringing back the 12 year old celebration this year. More to come on dates and details
- We have purchased higher quality shirts for 2020, that each child can keep at the end of the year.
- We are looking at other improvements to make at West Street including installation of “LiveBarn” at Burt and Restaino, improvements to practice equipment, additional PA system and other improvements to the complex including bids for an additional Cage and Bullpen.
- March 20th Trivia Night; we are looking for raffle donations!
- April 14th/15th will be Picture Days
- Early April - Coach clinics on expectations and safety. Dates posted on Website beginning April 2nd
Finally Thanks to Sheila Ahmed and Brian Canavan for your years of service on the WLL Board. We also have made some additions/changes to roles below – welcome to the following:
- Tim Gallagher – Treasurer (NEW)
- Tom O’Leary – Asst Equipment & Fundraising Champion (NEW)
- Larry Bognette – Summer Coordinator (NEW)
- Aaron Finkelstein – Player Agent – Jr/Sr
- Mike Anzalone – Player Agent - Pee Wee Coordinator
- Chuck Meredith – Information Officer
Ideally the weather continues to cooperate and we will see you all either March 20th or in early April on the fields.
We look forward to an exciting season!
Steve McMann and Brian Walsh
President & Vice President