Summer 7's for the Coastal Dragons will be a USA Rugby Academy Powered by Serevi
Description of Summer 7's 2014
The Coastal Dragons is very proud to announce that Summer 7's will be an Official USA Rugby Academy powered by Serevi! What this means is that the Head Coach for the USA Olympic Rugby team, Matt Hawkins, will be in charge of coaching rugby 7's for the Dragons. Your child will be coached by the Head Coach of the best players in the country. Serevi is the nation's most advanced Rugby Coaching company; focused on teaching the game to the youngest novice player, right up to and including the best players in the country. It does not get any better than this! Matt will be accompanied by Richie Walker - Skills Coach, USA 7's, Emilie Bydwell - USA 7's and 15 player, and many other of the best players in the country.
We will practice twice a week in Encinitas, led by Serevi, with coaching support by the Coastal Dragons Coaches. Each player will have an age appropriate formal "player program" meaning they will build a folder tracking their progress, including skills, cardiovascular, nutrition, strength and conditioning programs just like the USA 7’s players do. First practice is scheduled for 5/23 and the last one 7/25, for more info see below.
Practice times: Wednesday and Friday at 6 pm (all age groups)
Practice location: Cardiff Sports Park or Ada W Harris Elementary
First practice: Friday 5/23 at 6 pm at Cardiff Sports Park
Practice schedule: See calendar on the home page
The Southern California rugby clubs are currently organizing some seven tournaments over the course of the season plus the SCYR championship on 8/2 if we make the playoffs. These will be played for the most part on Saturdays. The first scheduled tournament is on 6/7 in Carlsbad. For the tournament schedule click here for link to SCYR. Coastal Dragons will be hosting our tournament on 6/28, which will be free for all dragons players with T-shirt and meal included.
For the un-indoctrinated, Sevens is the form of rugby admitted to the Olympics as a team sport. It will be played in the 2016 Olympic Games. Sevens is a fast paced variation of regular rugby played by seven players on a side for seven minutes per half. Thus the number of players on a team that can expect to play during any one game is a maximum of between 12 and 15. If there were more players than that on a team, some players would simply not be able to take to the field. There is just not enough time. Matches are held tournament style, meaning there are normally two or three individual games per team on any one day, with between four and five (or more) teams participating.
We intend to field one team for U10, U12, U14, U16 and U18 age groups this Summer Sevens season. USA Rugby and the Southern California Youth Rugby Organization allow girls to play touch and contact rugby with boys up to the U12 age group and beginning at U14 and older on a girls only team. For this Summer Sevens season, we will accept girls who want to play at the U10 or U12 age group. Please note that they will be on the same team as, and be team mates, with boys registered on this team. The age groups established for the regular season apply for Summer Sevens:
- U10 born between 09/01/2003 - 08/31/2005 * see note below
- U12 born between 09/01/2001 - 08/31/2003
- U14 born between 09/01/1999 - 08/31/2001
- U16 born between 09/01/1997 - 08/31/1999
- U18 born between 09/01/1995 - 08/31/1997 * see note below
- NOTE for U10: If a U08 player wants to play up in U10, please contact the Membership Chair, see Contacts.
- NOTE for U18: If a player was 18 years of age on 08/31/2013 or before AND the player is still attending high school full time they may play in U18 Club Rugby IF they will not turn 19 during the playing season. If you fall into this category, contact the Membership Chair, see Contacts.
Many people take vacation during the summer and cannot attend all the tournaments. We therefore separate the basic registration from the cost of the tournaments and only charge for those tournaments your child plays in.
- For those players who played in this years high school or club season the basic registration is $160.
- For those who did not play this past season, the basic registration will be $225. The extra $65 covers USA Rugby Insurance (CIPP), SCYR participation, socks and shorts.
- There is a $20 multiple child discount for families with more than one child playing.
- A per tournament fee, normally $10-$20, will be collected by the Team Managers at each tournament.
The club will incur a fixed fee of $120 to pay for Serevi services. Once the USA Rugby Insurance (CIPP), SCYR participation, socks and shorts fee's have been paid we can not get a refund and therefore can not offer a refund. Any cost that have not been paid for will be prorated and the balance refunded.
If you experience difficulty in registering, please contact the Membership Chair, see Contacts.