FIGURE SKATING COMPETITION 2023
CONGRATULATIONS TO ALL OUR SKATERS!
GSC VS New Canaan Winter Club
Saturday, Feb. 4th, 2023 9am-2:20pm
at Greenwich Skating Club
PREPARING FOR COMPETITION
The following are suggestions for the competitive skater. They are meant as helpful guidelines.
- Fill out the competition entry form and return promptly. Make sure you have included a Home Club permission (not necessary for GSC interclub Competitions).
- A few days before the competition the schedule of events will be posted. In some cases, a schedule will be sent directly to you. Plan to arrive one hour before your posted event time.
- Check travel directions to the rink.
- Have 2 CDs! Generally, one CD will be collected at registration; the second is kept rink side in case of a problem with the first.
PREPARING FOR COMPETITION (DAY BEFORE AND DAY OF)
- Clean your skates. Take out the laces, clean the tongue. Replace the laces with new or cleaned laces. Note: Sunlight dishwasher detergent will clean laces well, but allow them to soak for a while.
- Take either hard or soft guards - make sure they are well marked.
- Take an extra pair of correct length laces.
- Take a screwdriver for potential loose blades. Include a box of wooden matches or an old leather belt to plug screw holes.
- Take sanitary needs and aspirin, Tylenol or Advil.
- Pack two dresses in case of an accident. Check any beading to be sure it is secure.
- Pack two pairs of tights. If they are pantyhose, be sure they are sheer to the waist. Bring clear nail polish for runs.
- Don′t wear underpants under your competition dress.
- If the rink is cold, wear two pairs of tights (as long as your feet fit the boots comfortably). You may wear suntan color warm-up tights over your regular tights if it is cold.
- Take a can of hair spray.
- Take a hair dryer-to dry yourself off or warm-up cold boots.
- Bring make-up. Keep it simple, but enough to provide color under rink lights.
- Bring skate polish for quick touch-ups.
- Take extra safety pins, needle and appropriate color thread.
- Remember your camera!
- If your hair is in a bun, use an invisible hair net.
- Make sure your hair is neat and preferably off your face.
- Make sure any hair ornament is well secured with criss-crossed bobby pins.
- Warm-up sweaters should be short. If it is cold, take a silk undershirt and cut-off the sleeves. Warm-up pants and top will also do.
- Take a long warm coat or blanket to keep your legs warm while waiting to skate. Warm-up pants and top will also do.
- DON′T FORGET YOUR SKATES!!!
- Remember, looking neat, tidy and confident is a must for success.
AT THE COMPETITION
- Spend time alone-Visualize, think, and plan!
- Eat well-NO JUNK FOOD: drink plenty of fluids - NO SODA.
- Warm up gently and appropriately.
- Keep moving off the ice. Jump rope, if possible.
- Listen to music for relaxation.
- Eyes up, head up, and smile! Be confident!
- Support your Club members warmly.
- Remember good sportsmanship at all times
- Don′t leave your skates unattended in cars or locker rooms.