In order to advance the principles of sportsmanship and fair play and to promote mutual respect among players, coaches, umpires and spectators, SYBSA has established this "Code of Conduct."
The Code of Conduct shall govern the actions of players, coaches and spectators. The Code is intended to provide behavioral guidance and establish clear expectations for all involved. The Code was not conceived to address every possible behavioral circumstance, however, it shall serve as SYBSA's standard for behavioral evaluation. It shall be the obligation of all program participants, spectators and volunteers, to comply with the terms and provisions of the Code of Conduct.
All adults who supervise, coach, officiate or simply watch and cheer for the players on the field shall remain unconditionally supportive of SYBSA’s commitment to the ideals of good sportsmanship, team play, honesty, loyalty, courage and respect for authority. Likewise, all adults shall remain sensitive to the physical and emotional well-being of the players. In order to adhere to these doctrines all adults at the playing fields agree as follows:
• You will be positive role models.
• You will display and instill in the players the principles of good sportsmanship and team play.
• You will conduct yourselves in a manner that best serves the interests of the players.
• You will do your best to provide the players a positive experience.
• You will ensure that winning and/or losing teams do so in a manner which exhibits respect and good sportsmanship.
• You will treat everyone in the park (players, parents, spectators, opposing coaches and league officials) with respect.
• You will provide instruction in a manner that is constructive and supportive.
• You will not ridicule or demean players, coaches, umpires or spectators.
• You will not tolerate behavior that endangers the health or well-being of a child.
• You will comply with the decisions of league officials and observe all rules, policy and procedure as established or endorsed by the SYBSA.
• You will teach the game of baseball to the best of your ability.
• You will be drug and alcohol-free while at any SYBSA athletic event.
• You will not use any tobacco products in the dugout, on the playing field, or anywhere in the park.
• Coaches and umpires acknowledge the need to demonstrate fundamental proficiencies with respect to the game of softball and baseball as well as first aid. Consequently, all coaches and umpires agree to attend any skill sessions that may be required by the Board of Directors and moreover, any first aid courses that may be mandated by the Board.
• display good sportsmanship and team play at all times.
• follow the direction of the coaching staff.
• respect all coaches, players, league officials, umpires and spectators.
• make every attempt to be on time and ready to play for all games and practices.
You will not
• use abusive or profane language.
• taunt or humiliate any other player.
• question an umpire’s call.
• abuse, mistreat or mishandle any SYBSA league equipment or property (e.g., throwing batting helmets)
At the discretion of your coach or the umpire, a player may be taken out of a game or removed from any SYBSA-sponsored activity for conduct which is not consistent with the above Code.