MAHL General Game Rules:
Chin strap MUST be fastened while on ice!!!
No drinking on bench; no beer/alcohol cans/bottles etc. in trash cans
CLOCK TIME/PERIOD LENGTH:
- Warm-ups will be 3 minutes in length for all games.
- Game length
- 3 x 15 minute, running-time periods, 50 minute games FOR MOST Leagues
- 3 x 17 minute, running-time periods, unless otherwise noted, for:
Canton Sunday (B) League - Canton Ice House
Greater Merrimack Valley League - Bedford-Edge/N.Billerica-Chelmsford Forum/Billerica-Hallenborg/Tewksbury-Breakaway
Northern Mass League - Tewksbury-Breakaway
South Shore League, - Hingham-Pilgrim
Woburn First Responders B League - Woburn-O’Brien
- Stopped Time
- The play clock will only stop in the last ten seconds of the first two periods if the faceoff is in an offensive zone.
- The play clock will stop in the last 2 minutes of the 3rd period if the game is within 2 goals
TIME-OUTS: One 30-second time-out is permitted per game.
- Regular Season: At the end of regulation for regular season games, if the game is tied there will be NO overtime. Each team will receive 1 point.
- Playoff games: For tied games, there will be a 5 minute 3x3 sudden death OT. If tied at the end of OT, then game will go to a shootout for 3 rounds; if still tied, one round at a time. After the 3 rounds are over anyone can shoot until the tie is broken.
ICING: Hybrid - icing will be enforced
- For the purpose of interpretation of the rule, there are two judgments required for "icing the puck".
- The Linesman must first determine that the puck will cross the goal line.
- Once the Linesman determines that the puck will cross the goal line, icing is completed upon the determination as to which player (attacking or defending) would first touch the puck.
- This decision by the Linesman will be made the instant the first player reaches the end zone face-off dots with the player's skate being the determining factor.
PENALTIES: Everyone must respect and listen to game officials and referees.
- If someone has a problem with a referee for whatever reason please wait until after the game and contact the league director.
- Any verbal or physical abuse to the referee(s) or scorekeepers will not be tolerated. This will result in automatic ejection from the game and possibly the league.
- Any player who gets 3 or more penalties in a game will be kicked out for that game, and pending a review, the next game or more.
FACE-OFF after penalty: after any minor or major penalty (non-coincidental) the ensuing face-off will be conducted in the defending zone of the offending team.
FACEOFFS: Face-offs are conducted at the 9 face-off dots (current USA Hockey Rule).
- If there is a six-goal spread entering the third period, then the third period can be set to Ten Minutes.
- The referee will ask both teams, starting with the trailing team. If both teams agree, then the clock will be set to 10 minutes.
- NOTE: at the discretion of the referee, the clock can be set to 10 minutes without conferring with teams, if warranted by player(s) conduct.
*Referee has final say in all aspects of the game being played*
**League Director has final say in all aspects of the league**
www.mahockeyleague.com / firstname.lastname@example.org