On November 6, Massachusetts released new guidance for high school and youth winter sports. The link to the guidance is:
The guidance is allowing for games to be played in Massachusetts with some restrictions (i.e. masks are worn at all times including during play). With the updated guidance, we have already been contacted by the organizer of our Travel Basketball program, MetroWest Basketball. They are moving forward with plans to organize a Travel season. The current thinking is there would be an 8-week season starting in January with playoffs starting at the same time as in the past (end of February). It is also likely that, due to limited gym space throughout the region, the number of teams each town can include in the league will be limited this year. Our assumption at this point is we would only be able to have one team per grade and gender from 4th – 8th grade (10 total teams).
In anticipation of a possible MetroWest Basketball season, we are now opening up registration for Travel basketball. Again, this program would be for any 4th – 8th grader interested in a more competitive basketball experience playing against other towns. This should not be seen as a substitute for a Town program. With MetroWest Basketball likely limiting the number of teams, roster spots could be at a premium. It is extremely important that families who participate are 100% committed to playing basketball and that their players’ participation is a priority over other sports and activities during the season.
Some facts about this year’s potential Travel program:
- We have finalized an agreement for some limited gym time at the Shrewsbury Club for practices. Once we get closer to a potential season we will look to obtain more gym time in January – February.
- We are going to attempt to run 2-3 practices for each grade and gender from mid-November to the end of the year.
- We will use these practices to evaluate the players in each grade and gender to determine teams for a potential MetroWest season.
- The ultimate team selections for the Travel teams will be based on attendance, commitment, and skills shown at these practices/clinics. The team selections will be made by the participating coaches and the board.
- We will be charging each player a registration fee of $25 for these practices.
- SYBA is reviewing all the COVID related State guidelines relating to athletics, communicating with other town sports program (i.e. baseball and soccer) regarding best practices, and is also monitoring how AAU basketball programs have been running their workouts in order to develop a basketball program with safety as a top priority for all our players.
- In order for your child to participate families upon registration must sign a COVID liability waiver, wear masks at all times, have random temperature checks, be comfortable with risks associated with playing a high risk sport, and be willing to accept any changes to rules, format, or guidelines.
Again this is an evolving situation and we will keep you updated on any developments.
Registration closed on November 16