Update: January 24
Sign ups are open for Spring Rec Volleyball. Practices will be Monday evenings in March and April. This is simply a way for kids to keep playing volleyball in the spring - just $25 (plus the family fee that will cover you for all of 2020), no shirts, no pictures, just fun.
- 14U Club is practicing M/W 7:30-9
- 17U Club is practicing M/Th 4-6
NYAA Recreational Volleyball
Operates as a year-round program for both boys and girls with 3 separate seasons.
- The Fall Season runs for ten weeks, from the beginning of school to mid-November. Practice is held twice during the week. Registration fee: $40 and includes a T-Shirt. Note: in 2019 we did not run a Fall Season.
- The Winter Season runs for ten weeks, from the beginning of December through February. Practice is held twice during the week (excluding holidays, or when the facilities are unavailable. Registration fee: $40 and includes a T-shirt.
- The Spring Season runs from roughly March to mid-April and is purely recreational. The groups meet once or twice per week for practice and play. This is great introdudtion to volleyball without the commitment of a full season. Registration fee: $25.
- Level 1: introductory level where the kids learn the basics of serving, passing, setting and spiking.
- Level 2: next steps of learning some advanced skills and running an actual offense and defense.
- Level 3: for advanced players. In this level, the kids learn a complete system of offense and defence.
- High School Level: usually merged with the Level 3 group.
Club Volleyball is open to girls, ages 12-18.
- AAU sanctioned and travels for tournaments.
- Tryouts are held in November to determine teams.
- Fees and required registrations
- Register for NYAA yearly fee - $35
- Register for AAU membership - $16
- Team fees - TBD - this varies based on the number of tournaments we enter and uniform requirements. It was $450 for the 2019-2020 season.
Frequently Asked Questions
What do I need to buy?
We highly recommend knee pads but they are not required for recreational level.
What about Shirts?
For the fall and winter seasons, NYAA provides each child with a T-shirt that they may keep
Is the program co-ed?
- The recreational team is co-ed.
- The volleyball club is strictly girls.
Where are the practices held?
- Activities are usually held at the Northwestern Elementary School gymnasium.
Are there tryouts for the teams?
There are not tryouts for the NYAA recreation programs. This is a developmental program and we want to share the sport with as many kids as possible. All kids play.
The are tryouts in November for the girls' club team offering a more competitive, tournament-based experience.
Is there a Volleyball Team at Northwestern Lehigh High School?
Yes, Northwestern Lehigh High School offers girls-only Junior Varsity and Varsity level Volleyball teams.
Who is running the program?
Sue Dougherty is the NYAA volleyball director as of September 2019. Feel free to contact her at
if you have questions or would like to help out the program.
What is the cost?
Fall and Winter programs are $40 while the Spring is $25. Volleyball Club fees vary.
What happens in inclement weather?
If there is no school, there is no practice! The rule is if school closes or dismisses early due to inclement weather, practice is canceled. If the school has a delay, there is practice. If the Saturday session needs to be canceled, your coach or the director will contact you. If the weather is getting bad after school dismisses the director will make a call on the safety of practice and you will get an email by 5 pm.