APPLICATION DEADLINE JUNE 1, 2019
AMFA Scholarship Process and Requirements
Requirements for eligibility:
- Athlete must be in 8th grade or younger and otherwise eligible to participate in the AMFA for which the scholarship is intended.
- Parents/Guardians commit that the athlete will attend a minimum of 80% of all scheduled practices and games.
- Parents/Guardians agree, upon reasonable notice are required to volunteer 8 hours per scholarship recipient.
- There will be a 20 hour per family maximum requirement from parents/guardians to volunteer for 2 or more scholarship recipients per calendar year.
- The volunteer hours can be completed at any time during the year, but must be completed no later than 6 months after the end of season the scholarship athlete played.
IRS 1099 Requirement:
AMFA is required to issue a 1099 form to any individual or family that has received over $600.00 in funds or compensation in a calendar year.
How to qualify?
Consideration is given to families meeting the following minimal qualifying criteria:
- Provide a copy of your form 1040 from the most recent tax year
- Receiving assistance from programs such as: Food Stamps, Medicaid, SSI, Foster Care, WIC, CHP+, etc. (Please provide documentation of participation in these programs – photocopies are acceptable)
- A written recommendation by school representatives, social workers, youth community center workers, or other social services representatives if necessary.
- A written statement of an immediate financial hardship. AMFA recognizes that while a family may not be receiving formal financial aid, etc., circumstances may still exist which render a child financially unable to participate i.e. recent loss of employment. In these instances, we shall consider this written statement of immediate financial hardship. (Please provide any supporting documentation which may substantiate facts in your written statement i.e. separation documents illustrating your layoff or cobra benefits)
- Applicant must, as part of the complete application process, read and sign the Terms and Conditions statement of the scholarship offered.
- Any additional information that can be supplied to aid in rendering proper considered is strongly recommended.
The application must be completed by a parent, guardian, or head of household, with all requested information provided. All items including the Terms and Conditions must be initialed, signed and dated.
*Incomplete or late applications are automatically denied.
Review the below checklist before submitting your scholarship application. All of the following must be included:
- Income documentation i.e. tax returns,
- State or Federal assistance documentation,
- Letter of hardship,
- Any additional information that illustrates or would be considered “helpful” that would assist the committee during their review.
The scholarship committee considers all complete applications received by the application deadline. The amount of the scholarship awarded (if any) may be a partial or full scholarship depending on the number applicants, and amount of scholarship funds available.
Approval of a registration scholarship does not register the participant in the program he/she is intended to participate this is a separate action requiring each player to formally register by utilizing the online or in person registration process for which the scholarship is awarded.
AMFA does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, disability, or age in its programs and activities.
AMFA provides registration fee scholarships to children, who without this financial assistance would not be able to participate in football. In certain cases, the scholarship may also provide assistance in obtaining basic equipment needed to participate in the scholarship sport.
AMFA is a 501(c)(4) non-profit organization with a limited funding available for scholarship athletes, however, AMFA shall use its best efforts to provide assistance to all qualified applicants. No guarantee of assistance is implied in this application.