LITTLETON YOUTH LACROSSE MINUTES
November 23, 2015
Minutes for LYLA October Board meeting
Meeting Date: November 23, 2015
1. Meeting called to order by John Bergeron, President of LYLA at 7:30 PM. Board members for all filled positions in attendance:
- John Bergeron, President
- Quinn Canfield, VP Boys Division
- Tom Rogers, VP Girls Division
- Sean Reardon, Equipment Manager
- Larry Frisoli, Director of Fund Raising
- Scott Ellis, Web Master
Simon Dolan, Assistant to the Treasurer, was also in attendance in a non-voting capacity.
2. Agenda for meeting presented by John Bergeron
- Vote to Open Registration ASAP
- Update on PYLL meeting on November 19, 2015
- Finance update
- Update on Park and Recreation meeting
- Discuss proposal to change expense reimbursement policy
- Review LYLA Parent Survey Results
- Discuss proposal for coach and player development initiative
- Update on Uniform purchasing
- Vote on proposal to change coach selection process
3. Vote to Open Registration immediately
- Resolved: The Board members voted unanimously to open registration for the Spring 2016 season on November 24th,2015
4. Update on PYLL meeting on November 19, 2015
- Scott Ellis, Web Master, provided updates on the most recent Patriot Youth Lacrosse League (PYLL)
a) PYLL members voted to ¡§level¡¨ U13 teams such that towns with multiple U13 teams play at approximately the same skill level.
b) PYLL members voted to create ¡§A/B¡¨ U15 teams such that towns with multiple U15 teams separate players by ability.
c) PYLL requires all coaches to have USLL Level I certification. The next class is on March 19, 2016 at Tewksbury High School.
d) Each PYLL member should submit 2 names for Assistant Official (A.O.)
e) The next PYLL meeting is scheduled for January 21st, 2016
- Resolved: The Board voted to present 3 names to PYLL for Assistant Official (A.O.)
- Follow-up: Web Master Scott Ellis will post minutes of the November 19th meeting to the LYLA web site.
5. Finance update
- Simon Dolan, Assistant to the Treasurer, presented current balances of the LYLA Booster accounts.
a) LYLA Booster: $7,963
6. Update on Park and Recreation meeting
- John Bergeron, President, and Sean Reardon, Equipment Manager, provided a summary of their meeting with Alicia Day, Director of Littleton Parks, Recreation and Community Education.
a) The LYLA financial account maintained by Park and Recreation has a current balance of approximately $5,000
b) Park & Rec requires an LYLA reimbursement policy statement for debits against the LYLA financial account
- Follow-up: John Bergeron, President, will forward a list of expenditures submitted to P&R in the prior year for review by the Board.
- Follow-up: Sean Reardon, Equipment Manager, will prepare a draft expense reimbursement policy to be submitted to Park and Recreation for review at the next Board meeting.
7. Discuss proposal to change expense reimbursement policy
- Sean Reardon, Equipment Manager, proposed changes to the existing expense reimbursement policy:
Excerpt from LYLA Bylaws Section 5 Article 5)
"Expenditures in excess of $200.00 but less than $5,000 shall be approved by a majority of the Board of Directors. Purchases not specifically budgeted for in excess of $5,000 shall be approved by a majority of the LYLA members at Special Meeting."
- The proposal is to allow any LYLA member to request reimbursement of a legitimate program expense up to $500 with the approval of two Board members.
- Follow-up: Sean Reardon, Equipment Manager, will provided a written draft of the proposed policy update at the next Board meeting
8. Review LYLA Parent Survey Results
- Scott Ellis, Web Master, provided a summary of Survey results:
a) 42 respondents to date
b) Average approval rating is 4.5 (out of 5)
- Resolved: The Board voted to close the survey on November 30, 2015.
- Follow-up: Survey results will be summarized and posted to the LYLA web site by the Web Master.
9. Discuss proposal for coach and player development initiative
- Quinn Canfield, VP Boys Division, proposed improving the proficiency of volunteer coaches by providing practice guidelines and formal training
a) Designate 1 practice per week to skills development. These practices would follow an age appropriate plan setup by the VP of Boys/Girls Division.
b) Additional practice days each week would focus on team development.
- Follow-up: Quinn Canfield, VP Boys Division, will present the Board with costs of using an external consultant to organize and deliver the skills training for each team (7 Boys teams and 4 Girls teams)
10. Update on Uniform purchasing
- Sean Reardon, Equipment Manager, provided an update on his research of a new uniform purchasing model.
a) LYLA would contract with a web based equipment provider,, such as Atlantic Sports, to provide standardized uniforms for Boys and Girls
b) LYLA would engage a local sports store, such as Hit the Net Sport in Acton, to distribute purchased uniforms to parents. Sample uniform sizes would also be available at the store front for parents to try before they buy.
c) Sean recommends upgrading the quality of the existing uniforms during this transition. This option would require all players to repurchase current uniforms. Several Board members voiced their concern that changeovers have not been received well by parents in the past.
- Follow-up: Sean Reardon, Equipment Manager, will present the Board with specific uniform style options and costs at the next Board meeting
11. Vote on proposal to change coach selection process
- Larry Frisoli, Director of Fund Raising, proposed a change to the existing policy:
Excerpt from LYLA Bylaws Section 6 Article 5)
"Vice President, Boys Division and Vice President Girls Division Shall be responsible for:
i. Establish Coach selection process.
ii. Recruiting and assignment with Board approval of all coaches. While a majority of the Board may reject a coach nominated by the Vice President of Boys or Girls Lacrosse, only he/she may nominate coaches."
- The proposal states that a committee be formed to recruit and evaluate coaches for Board approval.
- Resolved: The Board voted to remain with the current policy as stated in the LYLA ByLaws without change.
12. President John Bergeron adjourned the November Board Meeting at 9:00 PM.