Newton Youth Hockey: Sprites/Learn to Play Hockey
Registration for the Sprites/Learn to Play Hockey 2021-22 now open!
This program encompasses NYH's Learn to Play Hockey program with an In-House atmosphere as the Sprites season progresses. The primary goal of the NYH Sprites/Learn to Play Hockey program is to create an environment that engenders confidence and an interest in hockey. All of the drills are designed to generate as much fun as possible while learning the core hockey skills and techniques. Participants skate twice per week (once on Saturday and once on Sunday). One day will be for drills and skills development while the other day will be dedicated to scrimmages. Saturday sessions are run with Watertown. Practice plans are developed by USA Hockey and follow the appropriate age practice modules.
We will begin the 16-week program with a concentration on skills development on both Saturdays and Sundays. In January, we will start to break off into teams on Saturdays. Each team will practice a drill for the first 15 minutes of their session. This format allows them to warm-up while still developing their hockey skills. The games will be played in a cross-ice setting and are designed to utilize the skills learned on Sundays. The focus is to provide a setting to learn a game environment and, more importantly, to develop teamwork and camaraderie.
The Sprites/Learn to Play Hockey program is open to skaters from ages 5-10. If you have a skater outside these years wanting to participate, please
, to receive clearance to participate. Your skater will be placed in 1 of 2 sessions (time slots) on Saturdays based on their age. Younger kids will practice 9:20-10:10am, and the older kids will practice 10:20-11:10am. Unfortunately, based on the structure of the Learn to Play program, we cannot accommodate changes, exceptions, or requests.
The schedule for 2021-2022 Sprites/Learn to Play Hockey season:
- Saturdays: at Ryan Rink (1 Paramount Place, Watertown, behind Russo's)
- Grades K - 2: 9:20am - 10:10am
- Grades 3 - 5 (and up): 10:20am - 11:10am
- November 13 - March 19 (no session on Nov 27, Dec 25, and Jan 1)
- Sundays: at Daly Rink (4 Nonantum Road, Newton, next to the Charles River)
- ALL: 8:00am - 8:50am
- November 14 - March 13 (no session on Dec 26 and Jan 2)
Cost: $550.00 which includes a $30.00 non-refundable registration fee. USA Hockey registration is required before registering for this program. There is no additional fee for non-residents.
Follow this link to register with USA Hockey
Prerequisite: Skaters should have knowledge of the basics of skating, be completely independent, and capable of freely maneuvering around the ice. Backwards skating and hockey stops are not necessary.
- MANDATORY: All skaters must wear a hockey helmet with mask (no ski or bike helmets). Neither parent nor child will be allowed on the ice without the helmet with mask. Please put your child's name on the front of the helmet so our volunteer coaches can personalize your participant's experience in the program.
- All skaters MUST wear a full set of hockey equipment: elbow pads, shoulder pads, athletic supporter (hockey cup), hockey pants, shin guards, hockey skates, and hockey gloves.
- Hockey sticks are required. The top of the hockey stick should be between the nose and chin when the child is standing up WITH the skates on. If the hockey stick is too big or too small, the drills/games will hinder the child's skills development.
- We recommend dressing in this order: athletic supporter/cup, knee/shin pads, socks (garter belt), pants, skates, chest pad, elbow pads, jersey, hockey helmet, gloves and a stick.
- We do not advise wearing equipment big enough “to grow into”—proper fitting equipment will ensure your child’s safety, comfort, and ease of movement.
Please email your questions to firstname.lastname@example.org