2019 Junior Olympics
Welcome to the JO 2019 page! This is the place where you can find all the latest news concerning the Junior Olympics and the Junior Olympic Qualifier
SLAP intends to send a 14U Boys, 16U Boys, 18U boys and a SLAP Girls team* to the JO event this year. Athletes should plan on registering for the team based on their age, not necessarily with the group they train with.
A player's age division is determined by the athlete's age on August 1st of the year in which the tournament is being held.
Example: If a player is 14 years old on August 1, they are eligible to compete in the 14&U division. If an athlete turns 15 on July 31, his/her age is 15 on August 1st and is therefore no longer eligible for the 14&U division. They are, however, able to participate in the 16&U division.
Example 2: If a player turns 15 on August 1, his/her age is 15 on August 1st and is therefore no longer eligible for the 14&U division. They are, however, able to participate in the 16&U division.
Exception: Regardless of Age Eligibility requirement for the National Junior Olympics, athletes who are 19 years old and in their high school graduating class of the year in which JOs is held may still be allowed to participate in the 18&U Division of National Junior Olympics. Subject to USA Water Polo approval
* All girls should register with the Girls 18U team, regardless of age. If we have enough 16U girls for a team, we will play in the that division. If we only have enough for an 18U team, we will play 18U.
First the teams need to qualify to attend the JO event in California.
This year the Midwest Zone Qualifiers will be June 14 - 16 on the campus if Indiana University in Bloomington, IN. Games will start on Friday, June 14th at 3 pm and end late in the afternoon on the 16th
If we qualify, then it is off to California (Orange County) in July for the main event.
Boys Session 1: July 19 - July 24 (games July 20-23; July 19 & 24 travel days)
Girls Session 2: July 24 - July 29 (games July 25-28; July 24 & 29 travel days)
Once we have confirmed teams for the qualifier, a detailed itinerary will be sent out, followed by a detailed itinerary for JO's if we qualify.
The cost estimate for this year's trip is $900 - $1050 per athlete for both the qualifier and the JO tournament. The fees include the entry fee for both the Qualifier and JO's, lodging (3-4 athletes to a room at the Fairfield Inn and Suites Bloomington, IN & Hampton Inn and Suites Santa Ana, CA), transportation to and from Bloomington via team van, transportation in and around Orange County via team van, coach airfare, lodging and expenses. The estimated cost does not include athlete meals or airfare.
For the Qualfier we will be traveling as a team by van from St. Louis to Bloomington. If we qualify for the California portion of the event, the coaching staff will select the team flights, publish the flight information, and then each family will book the flight for their participant. The coaches will be flying in and out of the Orange County Airport (SNA). Athletes not on the team flight will be responsible for their own transportation to and from the airport. Please don't book any tickets until the team has qualified.
- Ten-twelve players are needed, per age group team, in order to enter a team for the qualifiers.
- In order to play in California, the players should plan on participating in the regional qualifier with the team.
- Athletes must be registered with USAWP at the gold level and have completed the birthdate verification process prior to the qualifiers.
- Athletes must have their club affliation with Clayton Water Polo Club.
- Any athlete 18 years of age or older is required to complete the Safe-Sport program through USA Water Polo.
- Athletes must bring their USAWP membership card to the event
- The athlete must be registered for, and pay for, both SLAP summer session and the JO team.
- Each participant needs to bring/wear SLAP T-shirts (or other SLAP gear) to both the qualifiers and the JO event in CA. This includes one blue and one white SLAP polo.
- Each participant must wear a SLAP suit.
Families are welcomed to accompany their child on the trip(s), but they are not required to attend the event in order for their child to participate in the qualifiers or the JO event. Regardless of family participation, all athletes will be expected to stay in team rooms, participate in team activities and meals. Families are welcomed to join in these activities if they choose.
Please follow this link to register for JO's: https://leagueathletics.com/Registration/Default.asp?org=STLOUISAREAPOLO
An athlete's registration isn't complete until they have registered online, paid the $300 deposit AND have met all the USWP requirements to participate in JO's.
If you have any questions, please email Miguel Figueras at email@example.com