2017 Opening Day Details
NBLL OPENING DAY IS THIS SATURDAY, APRIL 8th AT IRIS FIELDS
Schedule of Events: (more detail on each provided below)
- 8:45 a.m. – Some Single A games start at Centennial
- 9:00 a.m. – AA games start at North Boulder Park
- 9:30 a.m. – Majors games and a AAA game start at Iris Fields
- 11:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m - Opening Day Events at Iris Fields (more details below), including lunch from Verde food truck, Freddie’s Hot Dogs, and Sweet Cow Ice Cream; Gear Swap; Bake Sale; and Spirit Gear Sale.
- 11:30 a.m. – 1:30pm Dinger (Colorado Rockies mascot!) mingles for pictures and fun with NBLL players
- 11:45 a.m. (approximate) – Opening Day Ceremonies begin @ Iris South East
- 12:00 noon (approximate) – All Star Recognition and Hanging of Banners. Parade of Teams begins @ Iris South East. Players should wear uniform jerseys and hats.
- 1:30 p.m. and throughout afternoon: Additional Games at Iris, Centennial and North Boulder Park
Opening Day Ceremonies will begin shortly after the conclusion of the 9:30 a.m. games being played at Iris Fields, no earlier than 11:40 a.m. There will be a few announcements, some special introductions, the National Anthem, and the official “first pitch”. After this, the NBLL players will take the field, by division; recite the Little League pledge, and then “run the bases” in the traditional team parade. Players should wear their team jerseys and hats for this event. The team parade will likely begin around 12 noon or a few minutes after.
Other Events on Opening Day:
At Iris Fields, there will be many activities from 11am – 1pm. Verde Food Truck and Freddie’s Hot Dogs will be serving up lunch. In addition, folks can satisfy their sweet tooth at the Sweet Cow ice cream truck and the NBLL Bake Sale, to be held at Iris during the festivities, or until the goodies run out.
Colorado Rockies mascot Dinger will be at Iris from 11:30am-1:30pm to greet players and families. Bring your camera!
The NBLL Gear Swap will be in full swing from 11am – 1pm, so please donate any lightly used, but still functional baseball gear, and shop or swap for something you need. Gloves, LL approved bats, cleats, and heart guards are always appreciated! Items can be dropped of in advance at the storage shed on 16th Street at Iris Fields, or just bring your items to the Gear Swap table on Opening Day.
This year we have Spirit Gear for sale online. Lots of new styles and choices. Bring a little extra cash or a checkbook so you can outfit your player or whole family in some older NBLL spirit gear (in limited sizes), which will be available at a discount!
After the festivities at Iris conclude, stick around for more afternoon games, or travel to any of the NBLL venues for more action on the diamond – games will be held at Centennial and North Boulder Park in the afternoon.
Parking: Parking at Iris on Opening Day is always tricky. There is limited room in the County Building parking lots (Iris & Broadway). In addition, you can park on neighborhood streets as long as driveways and fire hydrants are clear. Please be super careful driving around Iris on Saturday – there will be lots of excited kids running around. If at all possible, walk or ride a bike to avoid extra car traffic.
What to bring: We are asking for the following items from each family (unsold items will be donated to the Snack Shack for sale throughout the season):
- T-Ball and A – 6-pack of individually sized (20 oz) sports drinks (e.g. Gatorade)
- AA – 6-pack of individually sized (20 oz) sports drinks (e.g. Gatorade)
- AAA – 6-pack of soft drink of your choice
- Majors/Juniors – 6-pack of soft drink of your choice
You can bring these items to the Snack Shack area on Opening Day or drop them off by Friday, April 7th, at the following locations:
- Christina Ihnot, 1622 Poplar Ave. (off of 17th and Quince) Leave in box in driveway.
- Sherry Franz, 3347 St. Vincent Place - Four Mile Creek
- Iris Fields, bring to Opening Day with you and drop off at the Snack Shack.
Volunteers for Opening Day!
WE STILL NEED YOUR HELP ON OPENING DAY! There are several ways to help make Opening Day a great success! Please sign up here to work at the Bake Sale Table or Gear Swap. Or sign up to provide baked goods for the Bake Sale.
Questions? Please contact