Chaska Boys Basketball Tournament Rules
High School basketball rules will be followed except as noted:
● A 5 minute warm-up is allowed before the game.
● Teams will be given a 5 minute grace period if not present at the scheduled game time. Teams that are not ready to play at the end of the grace period, with a minimum of 5 players, will forfeit the game.
● No game will be started more than 10 minutes ahead of the scheduled time.
● The halftime is 3 minutes.
● All grades will play two 20 minute running time halves. The last 2 minutes of the second half will be stop time.
● Each team is allowed 3 time outs per game. Time outs cannot be carried over into overtime. One time out is allowed if the game goes into overtime. No time outs are allowed in the second overtime.
● Overtime: The first overtime will be 2 minutes, running time. If the game is still tied at the end of 2 minutes, the second overtime will be sudden victory - the first to score wins. General:
● A player will compete on only one team during the tournament.
● A small-size ball (27.5) will be used for 4th grade. A junior-size ball (28.5) will be used for 5th and 6th grades. Full-sized balls (29.5) will be used for 7th and 8th grades. The home team (top team listed in the bracket) will supply the game ball.
● The home team will supply the official scorekeeper. The home team is the Top Team in the Bracket or the First Team listed in pool play.
● Three point shots will be counted only where there is a three point line on the gym floor. If the gym floor does not have a three point line, all shots from the field will count as 2 points.
● The alternate possession rule will be used in all jump ball situations, with the exceptions of the beginning of the game and the beginning of each overtime.
● Please refrain from shooting baskets during timeouts and half time, unless you are one of the two teams on the court.
● 12 foot free throw line for 4th graders. Players are not allowed to cross the 12 foot line.
● All types of defensive play allowed for 6th-8th grade.
● 5th Grade: All types of half-court defense allowed the entire game. Full court pressing allowed in the last two minutes of each half.
● 4th Grade: No full-court or half-court zone defense allowed. Trapping man-to-man defense is allowed in the half court. Full court man-to-man pressing allowed in the final minute of the game.
● If a team is ahead by 20 points or more, they may not press during this time. The team that is behind can press. Fouls:
● Beginning with the 7th team foul of each half, free throws are one and one. There will be no double bonus this year.
● Technical fouls are an automatic two points and possession of the ball. Technical fouls are counted as both individual and team fouls. Tie Breakers for Pool Play: 1. Win/loss record 2. Head to head record 3. Point differential (max 15 pts/game) 4. Coin toss
● If a multi-team tie exists, determine the first winning team, then repeat the breaker process until all subsequent ties are decided. Sportsmanship:
● Coaches are responsible for the actions of themselves, their players and their fans. Inappropriate behavior will not be tolerated. Unsportsmanlike conduct may result in game and/or tournament forfeiture (tournament fees will not be refunded).
● Tournament directors reserve the right to refuse admission or remove from the tournament premises, any individual displaying inappropriate behavior.
Thank you for participating in the 2020 Chaska Boys Basketball Tournament!