Home

My my My my

Intro Level Program
Forum: General Discussion
Subject: Intro Level Program
Posted by: Greg Goss of <a href='http://brooksidelacrosse.org' target='_blank'>brooksidelacrosse.org</a>
Date/Time:
This subject is about Tim Reidy's idea for a sticks only entry level program for first time players.

Overall it is my belief that the boys program should average about 24 players per grad year. This would create a robust boys program on par with Blue Valley and Prairie Village. This is what every club in the KCYLL should be striving for. If a club does not have a footprint (recruiting area) that could conceivably provide this they should expand their efforts or consolidate with an adjecent program.

Brookside has consistently produced about 16 to 18 players per grad year and it has been difficult to break through to that next level. We have been successful at fostering the programs of PV and Leawood (and to a lesser extent Northland and Olathe). However, that has left us a bit cornered especially because we have a school based program which draws many players out of our neighborhood to Pembroke/St. Paul's.

Under the new divisional setup an average grad class of 24 would produce the following teams (3-14Us, 2-12Us, 2-11Us, 3-10Us, 3-9Us, 4-8Us).

KCYLL Divisional Setup new in 2018
14U (7th & 8th)=10v10
12U (6th) = 7v7 (although there is a 12U 10v10, BKS will only submit 7v7)
1U (5th) = 7v7
10U (4th) = 6v6
9U (3rd)= 6v6
8U (2nd) = 4v4

I don't think my plan for number of teams in each division would ever really work out perfectly but a framework is there. It would be more likely that in the 10U (4th grade) and 9U(3rd) we set a goal of fielding a team for each school in each grade (i.e. Vis 9U team, St. Pete 9U team & combined schools with remaining 9Us). However BKS structures it, the goal of 24 boys/grad class should be the objective. This would mean getting about 140 boys (2nd-8th) out each spring with lesser numbers at the younger age divisions, then adding boys every year. We are at about 90 right now and this would mean a roughly 50% increase in participation. The output of this is 48 boys each spring in the 14U division (7th & 8th) divided into 3 full field teams divided primarily by skill (1 red and 2 blue division teams).

It took me a while to get here but this is where Tim's idea makes a lot of sense. The obstacle of equipment for 1st graders keeps a lot of kids out of the game. We have worked very hard on making equipment more accessible and affordable but it may not be enough simply because the perception is "lacrosse is expensive". This equipment explanation video is posted on our registration page: https://youtu.be/SScivYfJqcI . It does demonstrate how complex and daunting it may seem to a new parent while it seems simple to us.

I think Tim is suggesting that we launch a sticks only program where kindergartners and 1st grade boy and girls can participate with only an investment in cleats. It would be nice to get 24 kids out for this program but there would be many details to sort out. It would also jump start the 8U division the following year. I would like to make certain that it does not canabalize the new 8U division. We already have 5 players in 2nd grade that played 9U last year as 1st graders. That is a good base to get to at least one 8U team and maybe two for 2017.

Let the furtive discussion begin. I expect input from Cole Dimond!!!!!!!!!  
     Reply to message    
Message Thread
Subject Posted by When
Intro Level Program  Greg Goss   3 Years ago
    Re: Intro Level Program Greg Goss 3 Years ago
        Re: Intro Level Program 3 Years ago