McLean Select Basketball ("MSB") is a member club of the FCYBL and is the select basketball program offered by McLean Youth Basketball. MSB fields two teams in each of the four boys and girls age groups, for a total of 16 teams.
Welcome to McLean Select Basketball′s Home on the Web
November 20, 2020
To All McLean Youth Basketball Participants interested in Select Basketball
Fairfax County has alerted all youth recreation basketball programs that Community Gym Use has been authorized for their use starting on January 4, 2021 under strict COVID safety rules (listed at the end of this email). This approval is subject to the VHS return to play rules and protocols which are subject to change. Right now, the High School sports are opened for Gym use on December 7. Any change to that date would affect our timing as well.
Subject to the above The Fairfax County Youth Basketball League has issued their return to play rules and procedures. Under these rules tryouts may begin on Friday November 27. Select practices will begin on January 4 and select games will be scheduled from January 16 through March 7. The playoffs will end on March 15.
At this time MYB is moving forward with Select try-outs. This is for MYB travel teams.
House registration will open up later this month. More information on the House league to follow.
Select try outs will take place indoors on Friday, Saturday, Sunday, November 27th, 28th & 29th at Hoops Plus Address 45496 Ruritan Circle, Sterling, VA 20164.
There will be an additional outdoor tryouts for those that cannot make the scheduled indoor tryout date. If you are interested in trying out, but unable to attend tryouts as scheduled for November 27 - 29 please contact your coach.
Please see below for the contact information:
1. You MUST contact your coach to be placed on the tryout list to attend tryouts. You will be slotted into a specific time slot. Gerry Megas will be coaching one team and organizing the tryout for the other in the 7th and 8th grade girls. The 5th grade girls tryouts will occur outdoors during the week of November 30 - December 4. Contact Coach McNicoll for more details TBD.
5th Grade Boys: Andrew Coats - firstname.lastname@example.org 6th Grade Boys: Lancer Martin -
7th Grade Boys: Arthur Jackson - 8th Grade Boys: Kathy Carey -
There is a limit to the number of players allowed in the facility (14 per session) - so all interested players will be slotted into a reserved time slot - scheduled with the coach. You must contact the coach and be assigned a time slot before attending
Each time slot will be approximately one hour and 30 minutes (plus or minus 30 minutes) . These slots will be arranged by the coach within a block of time as follows
3. Masks must be worn by all participants and parents/guardians/siblings escorting a participant to/from the car and court and maintain social distancing of 6 feet from other participants in-transit.
4. Participants are permitted to wear a mask during evaluation activities but are not required to do so.
5. Parents are not permitted to attend evaluations. Please confirm pick up time as parents must come to the court to pick up their child as no participants will be permitted to leave the court unattended.
6. Participants should bring water as there are no water fountains available.
7. Participants should bring their own basketball to tryouts, labeled with their name.
8. Participant should bring hand sanitizer for their personal use.
County permit rules - see below the main points of the safety protocols mandated by the county.
1. Only one team in the gym at a time for practices
2. All permit holders will strictly abide by the Virginia High School League Return to Participation Guidelines for their respective sports.
3. There must be a 15-minute transition time built into all practices and game schedules. First group must vacate the facility completely before next group enters. Second group must remain in their cars until first group is completely out of gym. Separate entrances and Exits should be used where possible.
4. Permit Holder is responsible for disinfecting balls, player benches and scorer tables before and after each use.
5. Masks must always be worn in the gym by spectators and coaches. Masks must be worn by kids on the bench but do not have to be worn while playing.
6. Hand Sanitizer is recommended for each kid to bring their own and use accordingly.
7. No spectators at games (FCYBL rule only)
8. Only Coaches and players allowed in the gym for practices. Minimum 2 coaches required.
9. It is the responsibility of the permit holder to administer the health and safety assessment to all persons entering the gymnasium. To include all coaches, players, referees, spectators, and administrative staff. Anyone that refuses to participate in the assessments must be denied entry.
10. Permit holder is responsible for immediately reporting all positive Covid-19 Cases to NCS at . Report must include name and telephone number of the positive case. The following links are additional resources to help guide you in implementing a safe and successful season. • CDC Considerations for Youth Sports • Forward Virginia Phase 3 Guidelines for Recreational Sports C
The 2010-2011 season was a terrific season for McLean Select Basketball. Some of the accomplishments for MSB during for the 2010-211 season include:
FCYBL leading four champions (3 girls/1 boys)
FCYBL leadig seven finalists (4 boys/3 girls)
FCYBL leading six teams winning regular season trophies by finishing first or second in their respective divisions
27 All-League player, including one MVC
Three Most Valuable Coaches
75% winning percentage for girls' teams (70% for 4 D-1)
76% winning percentage for boys teams (81% for 3 D-1 teams)
Five teams won Thanksgiving Tournaments
Click here to go to the 2010-2011 McLean Select News Archives to read more articles and information about the 2010-2011 MSB season, including articles about the club's five championships, seven regular season titles, all-league players and 2010 Thanksgiving Tourney champions.