Girls Spring Volleyball
The March to June SPRING season is dedicated to GIRLS volleyball. The program has grown from 220 players in 2012 to an amazing 735 players, 185 volunteer coaches and 69 teams in 2022, making it the largest youth volleyball program in Fairfax County by a factor of two.
Registration is CLOSED for the Girls Volleyball Spring 2023 Season
All Leagues are FULL
What's New in 2023
- Additional scholarship funds are now available so those who cannot afford the participation fee can play volleyball for free
- Children of adult Head Coaches and Co-Coaches now play for free
- To pace matches more consistently, House and Select games now end at 21 points (win by 2 points) with 60-minute House matches playing all 3 games to 21 points and 90-minute Select matches playing all 5 games to 21 points, time permitting
- To minimize confusion over time constraints, referees now utilize a countdown clock attached to the scoreboard to officially track the warm-up period and the time remaining to complete the match. If the final game is not completed when time expires, the team with the most points is the game winner (win by 2 points is not required). If tied, the winner of the next point is the game winner.
- Tryouts for HS Travel and HS Select are now on separate days
- HS Select and MS Select leagues play one pre-season match on Saturday, March 25
- The new RosterBuddy application provides an opportunity for families to fine-tune availability and friend requests in early March
- A Commitment Pledge is utilized to synchronize players and coaches about practice and game participation, and the importance of direct communications if there's a schedule conflict
The spring season has nine (9) leagues across three categories:
- "House" is open to all girls regardless of skill and past experience
- 4th Grade House League (also open to advanced 3rd graders)
- 5th Grade House League (also open to advanced 4th graders)
- 6th Grade House League (also open to advanced 5th graders)
- 7th Grade House League
- 8th Grade House League
- 9th-12th Grade House League
- "Select" is for girls looking for a more competitive experience (optional)
- MS Select (includes 6th-8th grades)
- HS Select (includes 9th-12th grades)
- "Travel" is the most competitive for girls interested in keeping their skills fresh for the next school season (optional)
- HS Travel (includes 9th-12th grades) **CANCELLED SPRING 2023**
Which League Should I Register For? The House leagues are open to everyone regardless of skill and past volleyball experience, while the MS Select, HS Select and HS Travel leagues are for more advanced players. Whichever league you target, everyone must first register based on school grade. The Select and Travel leagues require a tryout which is optional. Those who earn a spot after tryouts on a MS Select, HS Select or HS Travel team will have their registrations automaticially transfered to the appropriate league. All others remain in the House league for their grade.
When Are Practices? During the spring, MYA Volleyball has access to most public school gyms in the McLean-area from Monday through Friday between 5:30pm and 9pm. Each House and HS Select team practices once per week for 90 minutes on a dedicated court, with MS Select and HS Travel practicing twice a week. One team could practice on Mondays from 5:30pm-7:00pm while another team in the same league could end up practicing on Thursdays from 7:30pm-9:00pm at a different location. During registration, participants indicate which weekday evenings are available for practices and other special requests (friends, coaches, etc.). Our schedulers then work to assign each player to a team that practices on an available evening while honoring special requests.
When Are Matches? House and Select matches are always on Saturdays between 9:00am and 6:00pm at schools in the greater McLean area. House leagues play one 60-minute match (3 games) which Select leagues play one 90-minute match (5 games). The scheduling software randomly selects the start times, locations and opponents. HS Travel team traditionally plays matches mid-week. Teams only play against other teams in the same league.
How Does It Work? To help illustrate some key points, let's take the example of three sisters in Middle School. All three start off registering based their school grade, filling out the days of the week they are available for practices and any special requests.
- The first sister does not attend a MS Select tryout and is placed on a House team that practices on a weekday evening she indicated was available. Based on her special requests, the team includes the coach and friends she requested plus several friends who requested her.
- The second sister attends the optional MS Select tryout but is not selected. She remains in the House league. Based on her special requests, she is placed on the same team as her first sister. The team is also assigned a friend the second sister requested and another friend who made a request to play with her.
- The third sister attends the optional MS Select tryout and is offered a roster spot. Her registration is automatically transfered to the MS Select league with a $25 supplemental fees. She is drafted to a MS Select team that practices on two weekday evenings she indicated as available. MS Select, HS Select and HS Travel do not honor friend requests.
- All three sisters play matches on Saturdays sometime between 9am and 6pm with start times, locations and opponents determined by the scheduling software.
For more information, visit the following links:
Spring 2023 Schedule
- January 1: Registration opens
- February 27: Registration closes
- February 27, 28, March 2: MS Select Round 1 tryouts (this is not a league-wide skills assessment)
- February 28: Deadline to update availabilty and friend requests through the new RosterBuddy Player Portal (opens Feb 21)
- March 1: HS Travel tryout (this is not a league-wide skills assessment)
- March 6: MS Select Round 2 callback (invitation-only)
- March 6: Deadline to register a self-formed HS Select team
- March 7: HS Select tryout (this is not a league-wide skills assessment)
- March 8: MS Select draft
- March 9: HS Select draft
- March 9: New Coaches Zoom Meeting @7:00pm-8:45pm
- March 10: MS Select and HS Select team rosters and schedules published
- March 13: House team rosters and schedules published
- March 13-18: Free skills clinics
- March 13-17: HS Travel, HS Select and MS Select team practices begin
- March 20-24: House team practices begin
- March 25: Pre-Season match for HS Select and MS Select teams
- April 1-9: FCPS & APS Spring Break GYMS CLOSED
- April 15: Match #1
- April 22: Match #2
- April 29: Match #3
- May 6: Match #4
- May 13: Match #5
- May 20: Match #6
- May 27-29: Memorial Day Weekend GYMS CLOSED
- June 3: Match #7 and Three-in-A-Row Froyo Challenge
- June 10-11: Playoffs for House and Select Leagues
- June 12-15: All-Stars Events
with your questions.