(Baseball Age 5-6)
Simsbury Little League T-Ball baseball is designed for boys and girls who are "baseball age" 5 & 6 and who are new to baseball.
Use the baseball age chart to determine a player's age. The chart can be found on our documents tab.
· All 5-year olds will be placed in T-Ball regardless of whether they have prior baseball experience.
· Players who are age 6 with no prior Little League experience will be placed in T-Ball.
T-Ball games and practices are scheduled for weekends only. Games are scheduled for Saturday mornings and practices on Sunday afternoons. During our "Preseason" which typically runs for the first three weeks of April, practices may be held on Saturdays. Once games begin practices will be on Sunday afternoon only.
In T-Ball, the league de-emphasizes competitiveness, and focuses mainly on the development of fundamental baseball skills. Much of the season will be dedicated to learning the rules of baseball and the fundamentals of fielding, throwing, and hitting while having a great time!
The players are provided with hats, jerseys and socks. The league will provide bats for players to use. Parents will need to provide a pair of baseball pants and a glove. Cleats are optional.
1. Coaches pitch from the knee which simulates the correct trajectory for the batter. Underhand tosses or lobs should be used in order that the player makes contact.
2. Offensively, a continuous batting order allows all players to bat each inning or until three outs are recorded.
3. Defensively, all players will play in the field with 5 players positioned in the infield. Positions will change each inning, giving each player an opportunity to experience each position.
4. There is no catcher position (Rule 11.1). An adult coach should be at home plate to place the ball on the batting tee.
5. A maximum of three coaches are allowed on the field (Rule 11.1) to facility learning the rules of baseball.
6. Bunting, stealing or leading is not permitted (Rule 11.1)
7. There are no strikeouts (Rule 11.1)
8. No score, records or standings will be kept (Rule 11.1)
9. The game duration is 4 innings with a 1 hour and 45 minute time limit (Rule 11.1).
Coaches share the umpiring responsibilities at this level.
If you are interested in becoming a Manager, Assistant Coach, or Parent Administrator for your child’s team, please indicate your desire to do so when you register online. All volunteers are required to fill out a volunteer application which is located on the “volunteer” tab on the SLL website.
T-Ball is fun, and a great way for your child to gain confidence and understanding of the fundamentals of baseball.
If you have any questions regarding the T-Ball Division, please contact the division director - contact information can be found on the board contacts page.