July 2004 Meeting Minutes
From Brad DeKanick, President:
Hi IYHA players, parents and coaches. It is finally starting to feel and be summer in Minnesota. The weather has sure taken its time getting here to do all of the exciting summer fun activities and vacations. I hope to this point that your summer plans not been a total wash out. Also, with what is left of the summer I hope your plans go as planned. It is hard to believe that in just one month that we will be doing registration. Keep your eyes open for the dates. I am looking to see another excellent registration for the 2004-05 season.
We have 3 parades that we will be participating in this summer. They are Villagefest in St. Anthony on Friday August 6, Stockyard Days Parade on Thursday August 12, and Festival in the Park in Mounds View is Sunday August 22. At these parades we will be passing out candy and we will need IYHA members to rollerblade, walk, and drive in these parades. I am hoping that we can have players, coaches and parents getting involved in them.
I will be conducting dryland opportunity for all IYHA players in August and September. It will be on Mondays, Tuesdays, and Thursdays nights starting at 6:30-7:30 at Freedom Park (Pike Lake School). We will not have dryland on the night of the Stockyard parade. Looking for volunteers to help with the stations (volunteers—please arrive early for the first dryland). The number of stations depends on the numbers of participants. You do not have to come to them all. But I am looking to having between 10-20 players as a minimum. Some of the stations will be leap frog, jump roping, sprints, piggy back races, obstacle course, shooting pucks, etc, and the last 5-10 minutes we will be stretching. Players should come with stick, tennis shoes and a water bottle.
Apparel- I will not be selling or coordinating any apparel this year. If there is someone who would like to pick up this area, contact me at 651-639-9110. If nobody steps forward, all the apparel that I have accumulated will be sold at discount at registration. Thank You for all of the players, teams and families that have shown there Irondale spirit over the past 5 years.
The Association is still looking for an Initiation Coordinator. This is a 3 year position that has 2 years left to be served. Needs to be filled ASAP. Interested people please contact any board member.
From Tom Welty, District Representative
Officials of Minnesota Hockey met with TC District and Association board members to introduce the new Hockey Education Program (HEP). A little background to the program is as follows:
The HEP program has been in the works for many years. This program was the brainchild of the late Ted Brill and Herb Brooks. Through meeting with Minnesota Hockey members (you and I), Minnesota Hockey determined that the main concerns of its members were parents’ aggressiveness, lack of skill development and coaching expertise. The results of these problems contributed to attrition of players, coaches and officials as well as an overall culture of aggression. To answer these concerns, Minnesota Hockey joined forces with the Mayo Sports Medicine Center, and the HEP program was launched. It is their hope that HEP will:
Promote fun and skill development (more practices, fewer games).
Educate coaches, parents, and officials in a consistent manner so players learn values.
Promote sportsmanship of players, coaches, parents, and officials.
Decrease attrition of players, coaches and officials from a great game.
HEP’s mission is to create an environment in Minnesota for all involved in hockey to succeed to their fullest potential and have fun doing so.
More detailed information will be available in the near future, but basically, there are three components to HEP: Education, Accountability and Skill Development. To hear more about the HEP program, all parents, coaches and board members are invited and ENCOURAGED to attend the official launching of the HEP program, the “HEP Face-Off” on September 25, 2004 at the Excel Energy Center. The Minnesota Wild has donated the use o their facility and Minnesota Hockey hopes to fill the arena will parents, coaches, officials and administrators from all over the state to learn more about ways we can all work to improve hockey in our state. Please mark the date on your calendar and plan to attend. Registration information is not yet available, but will be shortly. Watch this IYHA newsletter for more information or check online through the Minnesota Hockey website http://www.minnesotahockey.org/
Remember the parades!!! Mark the dates on your calendar!
August 6 - Villagefest Parade, St. Anthony
August 12 - Stockyard Days Parade, New Brighton
August 22 - Festival in the Park, Mounds View
Registration forms are available on the Website!
Use the Web to download the forms you will need for registration, and then mail them in.
In-person dates for registration will be announced in the August newsletter.
The Board of the Lake Region Hockey Association meets on the third Tuesday of every month at various locations. If you are interested in attending the next meeting, please call Niki Gjere and she will connect you with Lake Region.
All IYHA Board Meetings are open meetings.
Please feel free to come to the meetings, which are held at the Mounds View City Hall in Conference Room C. Also, if you wish to have a copy of any information which is distributed at the meeting, please email or call Niki and it will be mailed to you. Upcoming dates for Board meetings (all Wednesdays):
August 18, 2004
September 22, 2004
October 20, 2004
November 17, 2004
December 15, 2004.
If you wish to be on the agenda, please contact Brad DeKanick.
There have been several teams that have sponsors for their teams. These are listed below. This part of the newsletter will continue throughout the rest of the IYHA season. Please notify Niki Gjere of any additions or corrections. (Please forward information about websites and addresses, etc.) Many thanks to our sponsors!
Pee Wee B Team:
**John Bailey—our goalie Beau’s Dad**
**Victor Kretsch, Quality Post Service (Zach Ewing’s Grandpa)**
Girls 10U Maroon Team:
**Champp’s New Brighton**
**Real Estate Appraisers (the Slipka’s)**
**Fuji-Ya Restaurant (the Hanson’s**)
Girls 10U Gold Team:
**Champp’s New Brighton**
**Real Estate Appraisers (the Slipka’s)**
**Razor’s Edge, New Brighton**
**New Brighton Sportsmen’s Club**
**Lake Region Hockey Association**
Once again, many, many thanks to our sponsors!
Please support them! When you see them, please tell them you are from Irondale Youth Hockey!
Irondale Youth Hockey Association Board Meeting Minutes:
Wednesday, June 23, 2004. Note—these minutes have not been approved by the Board of Directors. They will be reviewed, revised, and approved at the next regular meeting.
Present: Brad DeKanick, Tom Welty, Chris Tahti, Brian Johnson, Niki Gjere, Randy Bortot, Dan Marcouiller, Jeanne Falconer, Pat O’Connor.
Absent: Becky Ewing.
Guests: Jimmy Gjere, John Donovan, and John Dalnes.
Meeting called to order by President Brad DeKanick at 7:00 p.m.
Minutes reviewed, motion to approve (DM) (CT), motion carried.
1. Update about HEP meeting: Chris, Brian and Tom were at the HEP meeting on Monday night. Minnesota Hockey presented the HEP information for the Twin Cities District groups. This is a program that works with Education, accountability and skill development. Program developed out of Ted Brill and Herb Brooks beliefs about areas where there were needs for significant improvement: parent’s aggressiveness, lack of skill development, and a need for developing coaching expertise. The area in which there has been most discussion is the sportsmanship component. Teams can receive a fair play point when meeting specific criteria. Tom wrote a summary for the newsletter (see article by Tom Welty). The roll-out is on September 25th for parents, coaches and Board members (no kids). This will be held at the Xcel Energy Center—more details will follow. There are several implementation points that need to be finalized.
2. ACE Coordinator position: Reviewed the original resolution. There is no language that exclusive links the Irondale High School Head Hockey Coach and the Ace Coordinator roles. Motion: It has come to the Board’s attention that there is a perception from our IYHA membership that the Irondale High School Head Hockey Coach position and the Ace Coordinator positions were tied together. The Board has reviewed the resolution as published in the newsletter dated December 19, 2001. After the review, it was determined that the resolution was specific to John Bazzachini, and did not carry over to John Donovan, or any future ACE Coordinator or Irondale High School Head Hockey Coach (CT) (RB). Discussion. Motion Carried. The Program Coordinators, President, Vice President and ACE Coordinator will pull a draft of the position description for presentation at the next meeting.
3. Volunteering Ideas: will make revisions and send out draft for next meeting.
New Business: Board Roundtable:
President: Brad DeKanick. Nothing to report. Chris is doing a nice job with the 14 U issues.
Vice President: Brian Johnson. Have entered IYHA into 3 parades. Dates were posted in the newsletter.
Treasurer: Jeanne Falconer. Distributed Consolidated Balance Sheet dated 06-23-2004. Distributed budget format. Need to have information in at the July meeting. Have received information about players that did not pay last year, they need to pay before registration this year.
Question: Can we develop a checking school for kids that are moving to PeeWee’s? John Donovan worked with the kids in the Fall warm-ups last year.
Secretary: Niki Gjere. Newsletter deadline is July 1st.
Registration: Pat O’Connor. Registration dates have been set. Will be in the newsletter. Late fee information will be included in the form. Will email the forms and have them on the website. Will add a section to request permission to release information to vendors. This will be yes/no. We may want to look at if we would want to charge for this list at some point.
District Representative: Tom Welty. No report.
Ice Commissioner: Becky Ewing. Absent, no report.
Initiation Coordinator: Open position.
Girls Coordinator: Chris Tahti. Nothing new at this time. The whole second page of the newsletter was dedicated to 14U. Nothing new since the newsletter article. At some point, Chris would like to have discussion about having an all girl Initiation program.
Boys Coordinator: Dan Marcouiller.
· Becky is going to schedule an initiate the tournament scheduling for the teams. Given her knowledge of scheduling and ice availability, this will be helpful. She will do the initial work and will run the tournament ideas by Dan and some of the coaches.
· Coach selection: Have received responses from some of the people that are interested. Will proceed with a selection process.
· Have met the new Boys High School Head Coach. Was an assistant from White Bear. Has a lot of energy. Will do what he can to help us out, he will coordinate with John Donovan. Is already on the ice with the kids during John’s camp.
Equipment Manager: Randy Bortot. We have a few sets of initiation jerseys. They are blue, orange and green jerseys. Should we use them? Dan will poll the coaches about what they want to do. There are extra sets of socks, will sell those at registration as practice socks.
· Discussion about having the IYHA logo on the pucks. Can have this done for $2.00 per puck. Can use these for home games, and give them out to the kids for special occasions. Motion: To purchase Irondale logo on pucks, not to exceed a total of $200 (DM) (TW). Discussion. Motion carried.
Lake Region: Randy Bortot. There was a question about if there was a contract binding Lake Region to Irondale and Mounds View. Randy reports there is no official contract that binds the groups.
Additional: Brian asked—have we heard anything about the interest that Mounds View had? We have not heard anything back from Mounds View.
Motion to adjourn (NG) (CT), motion carried. Meeting adjourned at 9:07 p.m.
Next meeting is on Wednesday, July 21, 2004 at 7:00 p.m. in the Mounds View City Hall Conference Room.