FCYBL Tournament Information
Number of Teams Qualifying
Each season the FCYBL holds a post-season single-elimination tournament in each age group/division for boys' teams and girls' teams.
The final weekend of the regular season will be late February, with the tournament starting the final week of February, with most games starting the final weekend of February, although a some games may start during weekdays preceding the final weekend in February.
Tournament games will continue during the week, with the finals for all divisions being held on Championship Saturday / Sunday early in March.
Number of Teams In Each Division
FCYBL Rule 7.2.7 defines how many teams in each division will be eligible for the post-season tournament.
7.2.7. TOURNAMENT QUALIFICATION LIMITS
Only the top 75% or TWELVE (12), whichever is less, of the regular season teams eligible for tournament play will participate in the post season FCYBL Tournament for each age/gender group. There will be a minimum of EIGHT (8) teams eligible; however, all teams will participate when there are fewer than EIGHT (8) teams in the Division.
2.20. PROCEDURES FOR DETERMINATION OF LEAGUE STANDINGS
Criteria for the regular season champions and tournament seeding will be as follows:
1) Won-loss Record. If the full schedule is played and the number of games played for each team in the league is subject to the tie-breakers below. If less than a full schedule is played or an unequal number of games are scheduled, the highest winning percentage (wins divided by the total games played) determines ranking, subject to the tie-breakers below. If Division-I or II has been divided into sub-divisions and inter-sub-division play occurs (team from I-A plays team from I-B), ranking will be determined by overall schedule, not sub-division schedule.
2) Head-to-Head Record (point spread WILL NOT be used). If more than two teams have identical records, each of these teams will be placed in a pool of the teams with identical records and standing will be determined
(a) on the best win-loss record of games played between the teams in the pool;
(b) if a tie then exists between two or more pool teams for rankings, the head-to-head record between those teams will determine standings;
(c) if the teams in the pool of teams with identical records did not play each other, or if the head-to-head tie breaker cannot be applied to the teams remaining, the team with the highest percentage wins among games played between those teams remaining in this limited pool shall receive the higher seed;
(d) if a tie remains between two teams, the tie-breaker shall be head-to-head competition; and
(e) if a tie still remains between any or all of the pool teams, the team standings will be determined by the lottery draw.
3) Lottery Draw - Prior to the end of the regular season, a random drawing will be conducted by the FCYBC at a regularly scheduled FCYBC meeting to determine each member organization's lottery number in deciding final tie-breaking procedures.
Attendance by member organizations at the FCYBC regularly scheduled meetings will be used to determine lottery selection. The number of meetings attended by member organizations will be determined, and member organizations with the same number of meetings attended will be grouped together in their respective pools. All member organizations that attend six meetings during the year (September through February) will form the first pool along with lowest lottery numbers, and each member organization’s Representatives will select at random from those lottery numbers.
In descending order determined by the numbers of meetings attended along with the corresponding lottery numbers, Representatives in each pool will select at random until the process is completed. In the event that a member organization representative is not present to participate in the lottery draw, the Commissioner will make the selection on behalf of the club. All teams from each member organization will have the same lottery number and the team with the lowest number is assigned the highest seed available in their seeding bracket.
• Teams A, B, C, & D finished 6-8 (all tied for 7th place)
• Two teams eligible for playoffs
• Records of the tied teams versus each other
– Team A = 2-1
– Team B = 2-3
– Team C = 2-2
– Team D = 2-2
• Team A automatically is 7th place (best win-loss record)
• Team B automatically eliminated (worst win-loss record)
• Teams C & D split during the regular season (1-1 versus each other)
• Team C had the favorable lottery draw result
• Team C makes the playoffs as the 8th and final seed
2019-20 lottery draw
1 Great Falls
7 South County
10 Manassas Park
11 Gum Springs CC
12 Lee Mt. Vernon
17 South Loudoun
20 Baileys CC
22 Lee District
23 Falls Church
24 Ft. Hunt
25 Ft. Belvoir
27 James Lee CC