Irondale Youth Hockey Association Board Meeting Minutes
NOTE: IYHA BOARD MEETING MINUTES ARE NOT APPROVED UNTIL THE FOLLOWING BOARD MEETING.
IYHA Board of Directors Meeting: December 17th, 2009
Called to order at 6:38 pm by President Kevin Bourassa
Board Members Present: Chris Drews, Theresa Spiering, Beth Soberg, Nina Dojan, Kara Chamberlain, Tom Johnson
Board Members Absent: Brent Eilefson, Dan Marcouiller, Mike Nundahl, Monica Crandall
Guests: Torri Johnson, Tim Fredberg, Rick McKelvie
Minutes: The minutes of the last Board meeting were read.
Chris Drews moved to approve October meeting minutes as read. Beth Soberg second. Passed without debate.
President: Winning seems to be a common theme for Irondale Youth hockey in recent weeks.
· Girls 12UA WON 3rd place Champion – Spring Lake Park
· Bantam A WON the Tournament Championship – Chippewa Falls
· Bantam B WON Consolation Championship – New Ulm
· PeeWee A WON 2nd place Champion - Hibbing
· PeeWee B WON Consolation Championship - Somerset
· Squirt A WON Championship – St. Paul Governors Cup
This is great news for IYHA. We even have a team that is undefeated. Our Squirt C’s are 6-0. Congratulations to everyone that is playing.
Hats off to Monica Crandall and Cheryl Mason for leading us through another successful tournament. The volunteers came through and we left no slots open. Please do not forget we have another tournament opportunity in January and then a District and State tournament to get your tournament hours fulfilled.
District 1 meeting – Nothing official from District 1 but the next meeting is Jan 11th. Our District director said he will do everything in his power to help us go to whatever District we want to if District 1 shuts down.
Boys High School Team will have Pancake Breakfast on January 23rd at Moe’s.
Vice President: See Fundraising & Tournament Committee notes.
Secretary: Absent No Report
Treasurer: Review Spread sheet
Boys Program Coordinator: Just want to mention and recognize the following people who have stepped up and worked way beyond expectations to help provide hockey for all of the C Bantam players:
Phil Schenkenberg and Colin Crandall who have both spent their time attending USA Hockey certification classes so that they can be registered and eligible to help on the ice and on the bench.
Mark Rupp and Rich Sonterre who have helped coach this team through the transition even though they have no children on the team and are coaching other teams.
Bruce Mason who has tirelessly worked to add players and to think of all creative ways to entice players to join this team.
Mike Rundle who, in his first year back, has taken on a much larger role than he originally intended.
All of these people represent positive actions by adults to make the game available to kids. IYHA is lucky to have people like this.
Girls Program Coordinator: 1. I’ll be scheduling a meeting in January to discuss future of girls program with Irondale & MV girl’s coaches, presidents and girl’s coordinators.
2. Congratulations to Rich Sonterre - Liberty Mutual is proud to announce the 2009 Responsible Coaching Winner's Circle! Liberty Mutual has selected coach Sonterre as the Responsible Coaching Award winner in MN! Liberty Mutual recognizes coaches that achieve and maintain excellence on the field, demonstrate an on-going commitment to athletes off the field and honor and respect the game. We thank you for your hard work and dedication, and for being a responsible, positive role model in your community.
3. Youth night (afternoon) Sat 12/19 at the girls HS game. JV plays at noon, Varsity at 2:00. U8’s will scrimmage between games. All youth players wearing an Irondale jersey will be admitted for free.
4. Congratulations to the U12A taking 3rd place in the Spring Lake Park tournament.
5. Need ice for U8 Jan 9 - Feb 28 and checkbook will send details to Kara and Theresa in email.
Initiation Program Coordinator: Still more kids registering. 100 and counting.
District Representative: If we stay in District 1 we will have 2,100 players and if Highland and Mpls. Park leave then down to 1000 participants. Playoffs will be Feb 22nd. District 1 had their First disciplinary hearing. District 1 is looking for a 15 Girls Advanced Coach and GM. If someone is interested in applying let Chris Drews know. Other Associations are meeting to decide their fate in District 1. We will have idea at next meeting in Jan. for the fate of District 1 as a whole.
Ice Commissioner: No report.
Registration Coordinator: No report.
Equipment Manager: No Report.
Player and Coach Development Committee: No report.
Lake Region: No Report.
Fundraising Committee: No Meeting due to illness and holiday chaos, but cookbooks doing great: 335 sold at $4020.00 less costs of $1700.00=total profit to date is $2320.00.
I am going to the High School girls Hockey game this Saturday from 1:00- 4:00 to have a table with cookbooks.
Tournament Committee ~ Thanksgiving results not finalized yet. The January tournament is almost here!! We have been filled since before Thanksgiving Tournament. I am working on getting volunteer slots ready to be sent to all the Team Managers.
Potential Partnership Committee: Dormant.
· Discussed what is needed to make communication around goalie clinics better. A new distribution list for goalies will be created which will allow for targeted email and reminders. With all clinics, need to make sure there is an even split of clinic time between the teams. Kevin said he has a spreadsheet that does that.
· 8U girls are now split into 3 teams and that will make it a little more complicated for communicating the Mounds View Association information. Torri will work with Mike Nundahl.
· Reminded the board of the Boys High School Youth Hockey night on January 21st. The board directed Torri to send out an association-wide email reminding everyone of the Randy Bortot Pancake Breakfast and the Girls High School Youth Appreciation Event, both on December 19th.
· Need team pictures for the IYHA Website Trophy Gallery for all years – also discussed the trophy case at the SuperRink. Kevin will talk to Irondale High School’s carpentry shop. In the meantime, we might need a volunteer to take pictures of each existing trophy for the on-line trophy gallery.
· Scheduling items of note – clarified process for putting ice up for sale. Discussed the 2 hour blocks of ice for the 1-1/2 hour games. Discussed the 8U ice schedule for the rest of the season.
· Discussed registration numbers to date. As of December 17th, 275 active registrations but that will change before the end of the season – Initiation can still register throughout the season.
· Updated fundraising totals presented at the meeting will be posted in the Fundraising section of the website
New Business: None.
NEXT BOARD MEETING: Wednesday, January 20, 2010 6:30PM AT NEW BRIGHTON FAMILY SERVICE CENTER
[Addendum on Following Page]
ADDENDUM TO MINUTES - eNEWSLETTER
Winning seems to be a common theme for Irondale Youth hockey in recent weeks.
Girls 12UA WON 3rd place Champion
Bantam A WON the Tournament Championship
Bantam B WON Consolation Championship
PeeWee A WON 2nd place Champion
PeeWee B WON Consolation Championship
Squirt A WON Championship of Governors Cup
This is great news for IYHA. We even have a team that is undefeated. Our Squirt C’s are 6-0. Congratulations to everyone that is playing. I wanted to say thank you to all the players for their hard work, the coaches for time and energy, parents and family for the commitment, and to the volunteers that make this a great association. I continue to be amazed by the great people that we have within the association.
Hats off to Monica Crandall and Cheryl Mason for leading us through another successful tournament. The volunteers came through and we left no slots open. That was my first tournament as President and it was a great experience. The other Associations seemed very impressed. Please do not forget we have another tournament opportunity in January and then a District and State tournament to get your tournament hours fulfilled.
I see the outdoor rinks are getting flooded and are starting to open. There seems to be a standing game on anyone’s night off at Hanson among other local rinks. This is the time of year when the kids that skate outside make huge strides in skating and stick handling. Make sure we get the kids out there at any opportunity. Older players make room for the younger and give them an opportunity to learn from you in a game of shinny. Throw sticks in the middle and let the games begin. Make sure you try some stuff on the outdoor rink that you might not be able to try in other areas. It is an opportunity to be Ovechkin or Crosby. We need to continue to use these rinks so the Cities will keep them open.
Finally keep playing hard and having fun. I think everyones expectations are continuing to rise. We need to make sure we all are doing what we can to make this an enjoyable experience for the kids.
The Chester Bird American Legion Hall #523 in Golden Valley has donated $300.00 to our team! One of their members is Kalley's grandpa and this is the 2nd year they have been so generous to us. Hopefully Grandpa will come to one of our games so the girls can thank him.
PLEASE NOTE THAT JANUARY’S BOARD MEETING HAS BEEN MOVED TO WEDNESDAY, JANUARY 20, AT THE NBFSC.