MANDATORY TRYOUTS - ALL PLAYERS
Thursday, March 17th 2022 6–8:00 pm (arrive 30 mins early) - or -
Saturday, March 19th 2022 8–10:00 am (arrive 30 mins early)
Location: Savage Sports Dome 13450 Dakota Ave S. Savage
Hitting/Bunting, Fielding, Base Running, Pitching, and Catching.
List of Items to bring:
• Long pants and plain colored tee-shirt
(dome can be cold, so please wear appropriate clothing),
No names or numbers on t-shirts identifying your child.
• Tennis shoes (no cleats allowed in the dome)
• Helmet with facemask
• Infield facemask
• Water Bottle
• Catchers bring own equipment if you have it, otherwise it will be provided for those in need
• Facemask to be worn at all times
Age specific information
8U: Players ages 8 and under, must attend tryouts. They will be placed on a 8U team.
For those who have petitioned to play up, register for 8U and if your child makes a higher team, reconciliation of registration fees will occur later.
10U & 12U: Players ages 10 and under and 12 and under must attend tryouts. Based upon the tryout assessment, players will be placed on a team appropriate for their age and ability level.
14U: Players ages 14 and under must attended a tryouts. Based upon the tryout assessment, players will be placed on a team appropriate for their age and ability level.
8U, 10U and 12U players may petition to play at the age level above their own age group. This petition is subject to the recommendation of the outside evaluators, the needs of the Burnsville Traveling Fastpitch Association, and the approval of the Burnsville Traveling Fastpitch Board. To petition, send an email noting your daughter’s interest in “playing up” with the relevant details to
- It is expected that all 8U, 10U, 12U & 14U girls attend one of the tryouts held on Thursday, March 17th, or Saturday, March 20.
- Girls may come one or both days.
- This is a great opportunity to signup to volunteer at stations for the IPE's. Come fill 2 or all 4 of your hours for this season in one event!
- Parents who are not volunteering, need to drop off your player and leave the dome. Coaching your child will not be allowed.
- For the Operation's Handbook, contact
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
FAQ #1: My child is an 8U/10U/12U/14U player, do they really need to tryout? YES! All players are encouraged to tryout. Depending on final registration numbers, the Burnsville Traveling Fastpitch Board will determine the level of play and number of teams based on ALL player assessments.
FAQ#2: What position will my child be trying out for? Tryouts do not determine a players fielding position. Likewise, while there is a separate tryout for pitchers and catchers, there’s no guarantee that a player will play a certain position. Positions will be determined based upon the coach’s assessment. However, to have an opportunity to pitch or catch at the start of the season, girls must try out as pitchers or catchers, and they will be assessed accordingly.
FAQ #3: What if my child is unable to attend the tryout? Player evaluation is a critical piece of success for our program and the expectation is everyone should attend. However, we understand that there are circumstances that may keep this from happening. If your daughter is not able to attend tryout, our medical and family emergency exception policy will apply.
FAQ#4: When will parents/players be notified of team placement? Each 8U/10U/12U player will be contacted as to their team placement, typically within a week from evaluations.
FAQ#5: Will my child be placed on a team with her friend? The Burnsville Traveling Fastpitch Association will form teams based on skill and developmental level and does not guarantee that your child will be placed on a team with friend(s). The Burnsville Traveling Fastpitch Association will guarantee your child will meet new friends, learn a tremendous amount of fastpitch fundamentals over the spring/summer and have lots of fun regardless of the team they are placed on.
FAQ#6: Will there be any tryout cuts? The goal of the Burnsville Traveling Fastpitch Association is to fill out every team at an acceptable number of players and not cut players who have a desire to play fastpitch softball. However, depending on the number of girls that tryout, cuts may occur. The Board will explore all options for a player(s) to have an opportunity to play fastpitch softball this summer.
Examples of a few options could include:
▪ Continue to recruit players at the age level in order to reach a suitable number to form a team.
▪ Communicate with associations in the surrounding communities to identify any combination of
players that could form a complete team.
▪ Consider if any of the players at the age level that are short players could play and would be
willing to play at the age level above.