MARA Baseball Ages 13-16
Commissioner – Mike Kafka
Phone: (980) 269-4200
MARA is proud to offer competitive baseball through programs for ages 13-16 (participating in the Junior and Senior Divisions of Little League). Parents and players continually seek out programs at this age level, and MARA is committed to offering a robust playing environment, not only in the fall and spring, but also in summer through MARA’s participation in the Queen City League.
· For fall 2019, any player born after August 31, 2003 is eligible. Teams are formed for ages 13 and 14 (Junior League) and 15 and 16 (Senior League). Players born prior to September 1, 2005 will participate in the Senior Division.
· The fall season will start in the first part of September, but we will have many workouts and practices leading up to Opening Day.
· Games will run through October with an intra-MARA double-elimination tournament occurring in the early October time frame.
· Registration will close on August 18.
· Open workouts will begin in mid-August.
· Teams will be chosen on or around August 25 with team practices commencing on or around August 26.
· All communications from MARA will occur via e-mail to the addresses listed in the MARA registration system. Please be sure to include the e-mail addresses of all individuals who desire information about the program throughout the season.
· Cost is $285; players will receive a jersey and cap.
· In addition to standard rec team involvement, MARA will offer other competitive outlets of play. A full description of the competitive team options will be sent in mid-July to all players previously in the MARA system.
· Any parent interested in coaching should both signal on the registration form and drop a note to Commissioner Kafka at the e-mail address listed above and below. We are always looking for motivated head and assistant coaches who have a passion for baseball and are dedicated to youth sports and player development.
· Residency Requirements: Little League operates under strict residency requirements. If 1) you are not a resident of Matthews, or 2) your child does not attend school in Matthews, or 3) you do not live OR attend school in the allowable Charlotte / Stallings / Indian Trail “surrounding area” as defined below, please contact Commissioner Kafka.
“Surrounding area” is defined as anywhere within these borders (full map can be provided if needed for precision): To the north: must be west of Route 74 / south of Sardis Rd. North and McAlpine Creek and east of Providence Rd. To the west: while staying south of Route 51, must be east of Rea Rd., east of Elm Rd. and east of Blakeney Heath Rd. To the south: must be north of Ardrey Kell Rd. and the Six Mile Creek/county line. To the East: if anywhere east of Route 74, your child must live or attend school in Matthews. Also, you can be east of old Monroe Rd. and west of Route 74 all the way south to N. Rocky River Rd.
· Bat Requirements: Junior Division – Any bat stamped “USA Baseball” or “BBCOR”; Senior Division – BBCOR bats only.
· Please reach out to Mike Kafka at (980) 269-4200 or
with any questions.